Friday, September 4, 2009

Spring

It's my favourite time of the year. My fig tree now has leaves on the very ends of it's branches (above) and the seed trays on the dining table are starting to come alive. Everything is full of promise!

Last year when I was completely new to having a vege garden and everything seemed to take soooo long, I had doubts that it all would come to fruition and felt a great deal of impatience, but this year I am just carrying on doing a little bit here and a little bit there, happy in the knowledge that whilst what I do in the garden today may not be immediately obvious, it certainly will be well and truly evident and worthwhile in 3 months time.

The best decision I've made so far was to grow winter veges and the fact that I'm still harvesting them and my beds are reasonably full means that I'm not desperate for some new food to grow. I even grew a great winter lettuce "Red Batavian" available from www.kingsseeds.co.nz.

Even though we had several frosts, and some of them quite hard (very strange for Auckland) all of my vegetables made it, (with the exception of self-sown pumpkins) even self sown spuds and tomatoes refused to die! We havested the spuds a couple of days ago, which is quite amazing for this time of year.

They were self-sown because I put my homemade compost into the garden bed when I sowed my winter veges - there is nothing more satisfying that free food!

No comments:

Post a Comment